[OSM-talk] Random Hacks of Kindness

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue May 25 23:35:02 BST 2010

Hi,

On 25 May 2010 13:00, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or if contributing to large existing projects is out-of-scope, then
> how about a simple website that you can paste in urls of tileservers
> and KML files that are then displayed together. So I can view
> arbitrary KML files over any OSM-based tile background, without having
> to edit any html/js

There's something that already does this, I'm not sure why it's not
wildly popular yet, it's really useful.  Let me make some publicity
for it. (I'm not the author)

In particular any site based on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cdauth%27s_Map instead of using
OpenLayers directly, has a search field, that lets you enter either:
 * search terms
 * node/way/relation id
 * url to an .osm, .gpx, .gml or .kml file to load as a new layer.
 * wms could probably be added as a new options.

Best of all, all the added layers are saved to the permalink so you
can just link a person to your custom map.  It also "does the right
thing" about updating the url with the coordinates after a "#", so you
can go back and forward in your browsing history like in yahoo maps (I
guess it could update the url less often, though).

The thing works similarly to the openstreetmap.js file hosted on
osm.org, it just defines a new OpenLayers class that you can use to
short cut using OL.

Example page is http://osm.cdauth.eu/map/

Cheers