[OSM-talk] tools for the transition (was: Editing of content that will be deleted on April 1st)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Wed Dec 14 14:34:37 GMT 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> Am 14.12.2011 14:08, schrieb Hillsman, Edward:
>>
>> Two requests to help us prioritize our work:
>>
>> Right now we are remapping and contacting in the dark. Bad customer
>> service is "We are changing things, you deal with it." Good customer service
>> is "We need to make some changes, we understand that this is disruptive, we
>> want to make this as easy as possible for you, here is what we are doing to
>> help you during the change, and although we definitely are going to make the
>> change, we are open to suggestions about how to make the transition less
>> onerous."
>>
>> I am hoping that the work that Mikal Maron mentioned to respond to
>> comments made yesterday will lead to making better information available.
>

> There is no "we" and "you", while at some time in the future the LWG may
> give its "official seal of approval" to whatever the "rules" are, it is up
> to the community to actually come up with that set of rules.

Perhaps I'm not the only one that has been confused, but this is what
I've discovered from the last few LWG minutes [1] and the wiki:
* This wiki page will be the "official" list of rules for cleaning the
database, but it is still under discussion:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/What_is_clean%3F
* Richard Weait will draft sub-phases to get us to the April 1st
cleaning; this will presumably include a date to have a solid list of
rules in place

I would hope that we can have a date for a solid set of rules at least
three months before the database cleaning begins.

-Josh

[1]: http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Group_Minutes#Licensing_Working_Group