[OSM-talk] [HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script (for Libya)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 15:26:38 GMT 2011

2011/2/28 Steve Doerr <steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk>:
> In my opinion, the int_name can usefully be used for the direct romanization
> of the Arabic name, as it now (as of yesterday) is for Tripoli, i.e.
> Ṭarābulus (previously, it said 'Tripoli').
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/27564957/history>.

until now, the int_name was defined as "Internationally known as"

e.g.
# name=Channel Tunnel - Default name
# int_name=Eurotunnel - Internationally known as

from: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:int_name

therefor I feel that using "Ṭarābulus" instead of "Tripoli" is not
according to the general usage of int_name, because Tripoli is IMHO
not "internationally known as 'Ṭarābulus' " but I might be wrong.

cheers,
Martin