[OSM-talk] [HOT] Nametagging: Local script versus "international" latin script (for Libya)

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Feb 28 16:00:30 GMT 2011

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2011/2/28 Steve Doerr <steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk>:
>> In my opinion, the int_name can usefully be used for the direct romanization
>> of the Arabic name, as it now (as of yesterday) is for Tripoli, i.e.
>> Ṭarābulus (previously, it said 'Tripoli').
>> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/27564957/history>.
>
> until now, the int_name was defined as "Internationally known as"
>
> e.g.
> # name=Channel Tunnel - Default name
> # int_name=Eurotunnel - Internationally known as
>
> from: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:int_name
>
> therefor I feel that using "Ṭarābulus" instead of "Tripoli" is not
> according to the general usage of int_name, because Tripoli is IMHO
> not "internationally known as 'Ṭarābulus' " but I might be wrong.

Yes, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarabulus_District mentions
"Tarabulus District (Arabic: شعبية طرابلس‎, Shab'iyat Ṭarābulus,
English: Tripoli District)". So Wikipedia does distinguish between
"Tripoli" as an English name and "Tarabulus" as its canonical name. But
at the same time, the page for the capital is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripoli - so the issue is not clear cut.

This one is an interesting example because "Tarabulus" is the
internationaly used transliteration of the local name while "Tripoli" is
fundamentally international as it comes from the Greek "Τρίπολις"
(Trípolis) which means "Three Cities". This does not help us to settle
the issue easily...

We might end-up having to keep int_name for the internationally used
name, even if it is a somewhat fuzzy definition - and then add a
name:romanized or romanized_name tag for the romanized transliteration
of the local name.