[OSM-talk] Use of official names Re: shortened names

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:45:13 BST 2011

>4. although the tag name is used by Mapnik and others, please don't fulfill
the tag "name" for the renderers

Likewise, my favourite annoyance tagging a place name with the English and
the Arabic [1]:

   - *name*: Tripoli طرابلس

Some might argue that this will render nicely for those of us who don't read
Arabic, but it's completely wrong. The name:en tag exists for a reason - put
the English in there and have the name: as طرابلس

The Egypt coverage [2] is vastly superior to the Libyan OSM for this reason
alone.

Cheers, Joseph

[1] for example, http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/27564957
[2] for example, http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/271613766