[OSM-talk] Download only specific nodes in one large area

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Jul 31 19:27:38 BST 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Gerrit <z0idberg at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> because I want to add language-specific name-tags to all cities in one area,
> I wonder if it is possible to download *only* city nodes for an entire
> country? If I download the entire country, 1. the download takes too long
> and 2. the server may reject me and 3. my ram gets eaten up.
>
> So I wonder if I can just tell JOSM to download all city nodes in one large
> area? I do not want streets, buildings etc, just cities.
> I just tried to do it with osmconvert and osmfilter, but I cannot even
> download the area at first, because the server rejects me.

You probably don't want to use the API for this, as it would likely be
an abuse of the editing API resources.  Have a look at XAPI and
similar read-only APIs for this sort of data request.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi

This is a quick request against your own local rendering DB.  So you
might want to set up your own db and remove reliance on an external
service.  My quick search found ~6000 city points, and ~16000 city
polygons, world wide.