[OSM-talk] Imagery parallax error in high altitude areas

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:45:30 BST 2012

> It's not as bad as it seems. Imagery is adjusted using an elevation

dataset. Since this data doesn't (and shouldn't) include buildings and

bridges, these appear distorted. You'll also see problems where recent

heavy construction has caused changes in topography.

Yes, but every pixel is not corrected. An imagery tile of 1km x 1km would
possibly be corrected for the average elevation in the area, but in
mountainous terrain, the variation in elevation above and below the average
would mean that many parts of the tile that we see are actually slightly
offset from the actual position.

Is there an accurate source for the coordinates of mountain peaks? We can
check how bad the parallax errors are on the satellite imagery.