[OSM-talk] Transcription and "internationalization" in place names

Claudius claudius.h at gmx.de
Mon Apr 16 08:32:41 BST 2012

Am 16.04.2012 06:33, Stephan Knauss:
> When the crisis in Libya started to heat up I was asked if I could
> provide bilingual rendering which is still online on
> http://libya.osm-tools.org/
> Is this of use for anybody? If no one cares for the bilingual rendering
> I might stop serving the map as my machine is quite small.
> If now even mapquest is providing bilingual rendering then having mine
> might be obsolete by now.

Your rendering is a very good example showing where the duplication
takes place if multiple scripts are entered into the primary name-tag.
e.g. west of Tripoli you see the place node for "Surman" showing the
English name three times.
I think with the availability of the MapQuest rendering and the recent
decrease in interest in mapping Libya you might consider turning your's off.
I did use it quite heavily a while ago though. Thanks for that.

Claudius