[OSM-talk] OSMF Board & auto industry / What's the story?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 9 13:55:08 BST 2012

On 2012-08-09 14:36, Rob Nickerson wrote:
>>For mappers which are not OSMF members but interested in the
> response...
>>http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2012-August/001618.html
>
> The response includes a clear action for OSM/OSMF. That is "they
> would
> love to see a roadmap for how the gaps [between OSM and commercial
> navigation maps]
> will close over time". Is anyone working on putting this plan
> together? Perhaps we can bring back project of the month to help add
> some of the things identified in the plan - e.g. work on adding turn
> restrictions.

What would be interesting is to know what is necessary for them to use
OSM. Is it possible to need their meets and therefore usefull to spend
time to do it or not?
For instance: address information. Is the Karlsruhe-scheme sufficient?

And this comment:
> additional effort to convert the map data into their proprietary
> format due to the lack of structural information.

Of course there is some effort in converting the map, but what lack of
structural information are they talking about?

Just curious: what is the current legal stand on mixing OSM with
proprietary information? Let's say I want to use the OSM map and I have
bought a proprietary list of POI's. Am I allowed to combine this,
convert this to my proprietary format and distribute this, only giving
credit?
Because that is not share-alike nor open.

Regards,
Maarten