[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 11:51:18 BST 2012

2012/8/2 Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>:
> If they are currently NOT showing what is on the sign then YES, and in my
> book that is not even up for discussion!
> If I can't photograph what appears on the base map ... it's wrong, and
> should be tagged as that so it can be fixed ...

we have a similar issue for road reference numbers in Italy (or at
least in parts of Italy), where the maintenance of some national roads
passed from the country to the regions (or provinces), resulting in a
change of the official refs from (e.g.) SS7 to SR7, or in other cases
the ref was simply changed (e.g. from "GRA" to "A90" in the case of
the circular motorway around Rome (GrandeRaccordoAnnulare). This is
even documented in the English wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Raccordo_Anulare  ("The official
number among the Italian motorways is A90, although barely known and
not found anywhere on road signs. It's widely known by Romans as Il
Raccordo.")

As these changes have already happened (on the paper) in some cases 10
years and more ago and still the road signs show the old refs (in many
cases, not in all), we decided to change these refs back to what is
still on the signs, and to record the official reference number in a
tag "official_ref". Hereby the map consumers get the information they
need when following street signs, and the mappers don't have to dig
deep into administrative details if they don't want to (on the ground
rule).

For the Belarussian case this would mean to keep in name what is on
the signs (if they are consistent and not half new half old) and to
put the now official name in a tag "official_name".

cheers,
Martin