[OSM-talk] OSM Legal in OSM reimplementation project

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Thu Aug 16 19:44:47 BST 2012

Hello Frans,

On 16.08.2012 18:10, Frans Thamura wrote:
> but i still need to know also, for apps that using openstreetmap, esp
> osmand, etc, where is the legal standard that we must comply

Currently the OpenStreetMap DATA is licensed und CC-BY-SA. You can find
all relevant information regarding the implications of this license
under http://creativecommons.org/.
In short: Commercial use is allowed, altered data must be provided under
the same license.

In case we switch to ODbL in the future this license with all it's
abligations applies.

For the SOFTWARE you are using you have to check the license text of
every software you plan to use or modify. The license should be included
with the software. very often in a file called LICENSE or README.

Stephan