[OSM-talk] [talk-au] [sharedmapau] Re: Mass revert now??

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:45:25 GMT 2012

On 10 January 2012 20:38, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's the point. I'm not surprised, I'm not offended. I believe the
> disgruntled have made their point, and I definitely supported them
> while the debate was active. Now that it's over, and a done deal, I
> think it would be much better for them to now (begrudingly,
> reluctantly, ...) tick the damn box and move on. I wouldn't even be
> surprised or particularly offended if they also chose to have nothing
> further to do with this community. But to put in thousands of hours of
> work to create free map data that can be used by anyone, and then to
> finish up having contributed nothing strikes me as a spectacularly
> selfish act of self-immolation.

Perhaps you and others complaining loudly about people being selfish
should blame those responsible, OSM-F, they chose to change licenses
even though many pointed out how much would have to be tossed out, and
even after all the tossing is finished I doubt the data set will be
clean enough to change licenses.

But for what end is all this work being tossed out? What is going to
be really gained in the long run?

It surely no longer is to have the most accurate map, all the
remapping is usually from lower quality data sources, and time spent
remapping could have been spent making the map better, that hardly
seems like a very pragmatic approach to me.

And no it's not selfish, you are welcome to continue using my data
like you always have, YOU and people just like you that don't have a
spine to stand up to OSM-F and say no this is not the best thing to be
doing so we can have a great map are the ones being selfish and
choosing to opt out of better maps.

You can stop with all the bullish language about being selfish, YOU by
going along with everything and agreeing to such a disruptive change
for little or no benefit are purely to blame for the state of afairs
and you have no one else to blame but yourself.

You say you want a great map, I say bullshit, you had one and you
can't get rid of it quick enough.