[OSM-talk] Abuse of OSM data / censorship in Germany

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 31 09:41:14 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 01/30/12 23:32, ThomasB wrote:
>> - Will OSMF/DWG investigate [..]
>> Two entities shared information derived from OSM internally, so what?

> ....with derived work -blured image geometries- shared worldwide. You don't
> see the irony using open data to restrict data?

1. I don't think it is proven that OSM data was used at all.

2. It is not unusual for military areas to be blurred on freely
available imagery; e.g. Google has done that in Den Helder in the
Netherlands too.

3. Bing can do whatever they want with their images.

4. Nobody has asked us to delete anything.

I don't see any scandal/problem/irony here. Nonetheless we have asked
the German government for clarification on who exactly asked Bing to do
what, based on what data. We'll see what comes of that.

Bye
Frederik