[OSM-talk] Database Rebuild scheduled to start on the 27th of March 2012

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Mar 21 12:42:36 GMT 2012

Hi,

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 06:17:06 -0400
Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:39 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> > On 21/03/12 08:26, Simon Poole wrote:
> >
> >> See http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Rebuild_Plan
> >
> > I think that date is very unlikely to be met.
>
> Putting it a little differently, how confident is the Rebuild Team
> that all of those tasks can be accomplished and thoroughly tested
> following that schedule?

I don't believe that this schedule will work; it is a schedule that was
basically created backwards: "We want to finish by April 1st, then
what deadlines do we have to make for that to work". I have
for the past few weeks encouraged everyone to work diligently
instead to a deadline pulled out of thin air. Good progress has been
made but more time will be needed to do things right. The "April 1st"
proclamation did a lot of good in the past months because people
understood that we were serious, but clinging to it *now* is likely to
lead an unnecessarily downtime and sloppy work, which on top of all is
more stress for everyone involved than need be.

I'm committed to help doing the necessary stuff to get the license
change done and to do it properly. I'm not, however, committed to a
politically motivated deadline that serves no other purpose than for
OSMF to be able to say "look we met our deadline." This is just silly
and needs to stop. It is neither good leadership nor good management;
it is an embarrassment.

Bye
Frederik