[OSM-talk] Translating the world

Ab_fab gamma.gts at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:06:55 GMT 2012

Hi Tim,

This looks very promising.
I'm sure that many people fluent in two or more languages could get
involved in the project, once a proper editing interface is set-up.

There's already a lot to do for the regions and cities names.
I'm thinking of one of my korean friend living in France at the moment, for
who it would be easy to set the French city names and administrative
subdivisions in hangul, based on the default (French) name.

In my opinion, one should be able to
_ log with his OSM account,
_ set his translation language (e.g. Korean)
_ set the desired area, and the type of administrative subdivision level
(coutry, region, city ...)

And the interface could propose
_ the list of subdivisions found (for example by Nominatim),
_ names in the translation language already present in the database
_ names proposed, based on interwiki links
_ check boxes to confirm that default name can apply in the destination
language / or confirm that interwiki proposal is ok
_ Fields to allow adjustment / addition of name in the destination language.

Bye

2012/10/26 <talk-request at openstreetmap.org>

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:27:54 +0200
> From: Kolossos <tim.alder at s2002.tu-chemnitz.de>
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [OSM-talk] Translating the world
>
> Hello,
> in the last two weeks I translated all countries in all languages that
> are available in the unicode-Project CLDR[1]. For this I used
> Overpass-API link for country codes ISO3166-1[2].
>
> In the second step I translated all capitals in tons of languages by
> using InterWikiLinks of Wikipedia and Addtags[3] together with
> Overpass-API[4] and Nominatim.
>
> You can check the results for zoom levels 0-6  with map on
> Wikimedia-toolserver[5], by changing languages under "options" (You can
> use up- and down-key).
>
> I hope I didn't make more mistakes than native speaker would do by hand.
>
> These things were a small step to support multilingual-maps[6] on low
> zoom levels. For the next steps more people are necessary.
> In my eyes it seems useful to work as next step on the regions that are
> regulated in ISO3166-2, but we have no clean tagging schema for this.
> A source for translation could by a debian project[7], but I need to
> clarify the legal aspects.
>
> Other important thing would be to translate large cities or isles.
>
> Any comments and ideas?
>
> Greetings Tim alias Kolossos
>

> [1]http://cldr.unicode.org/
> [2]http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/country_code_iso3166_1_alpha_2