[OSM-talk] Making iD the default editor on osm.org

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 11:30:28 UTC 2013

Ben Abelshausen wrote:
> Sometimes it almost looks like some people here are afraid of new users.
I still think that the general process for new users is not the easiest ...

> I think it is correct to assume that they will make mistakes in the beginning
> but also that they join the project to add new data. If they grow to be seasoned
> mappers the benefits of having new users will outweigh the inconvenience of
> occasionally having to correct some mistakes.
>
> If iD can help with this then I say: let's make it easier for new people to join
> and edit the map instead of being afraid they will mess up some data.
Some of my own comments have been directed to all of the editors and while I can
see that Id is trying to address some of them, it's also bringing along
unnecessary changes. I've given it another try, but the style sheet is
definitely not to my liking when working on data around here. I prefer the
cleaner style of P2. Fix processes that are broken, but for the operations I'm
carrying out, Id is actually getting in the way and making life more difficult.
So I'd question the statement that Id is better ... it has different ways of
doing things, but also has assumptions that don't seem to work for me. I've used
JOSM as well, but P2 provides me with a good workflow and has more information
on the screen such as the grid of possible POI's. I find the limited listing on
Id something difficult, and I already know what information I can add ... it may
improve as it seems to learn what I am doing, but when I switch tack then I have
to find everything again where P2 it's just there.
Flash may be a problem going forward, but it's the whole process that seems
wrong on Id.

> A better way of preventing mistakes is to prevent first edits being a lonely
> experience and to increase interaction with local communities instead of making
> editors more complicated.
Comes back to point one and something which I've said in the past ... the front
page for new editors needs to direct them to an appropriate local 'venue' for
working in their own language on their own area of the world. An alternative to
Facebook might be nice, but we probably have to live with the forums that work
in other areas of the world.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL