[OSM-talk] Paweł's q: what can be done?

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Feb 3 22:59:13 GMT 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Strategic thinking is long-term thinking, and in our case requires to get
> a lot of pepole on board in a suitable process, including those who think
> that we shouldn't have a strategy (we can't just kick them out and say "ok
> then we'll have a strategy without you" - we have to convince them that
> having a strategy is good). This not only is a lot of work but also
> requires the political skills that Mike Migurski mentioned. I'm confident
> that all these things are going to happen in due course, but it is very
> unlikely that "in due course" means "in 6-8 months".

Frederik,
I want to make sure we are clear. Are you signaling your belief that we
need some strategic planning? If so that's good news. Just the planning to
do a Strategic Plan is a lot of work. Can you take to the OSMF Board a
proposal that we need to initiate a committee that will start the planning
and possibly run a Strategic Planning process? Personally I'd like someone
like Steve Coast head this effort up but I can't speak for him or his
availability.

I also agree with you that OSM isn't going to break any time soon. If OSM
can survive the licensing change, it can even survive a strategic planning
process.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch