[OSM-talk] Mapping of multiple-lane toll areas

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Oct 22 23:24:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> Lane assist tagging isn't relevant here as that's to indicate lanes to
> different destinations. Here there's only one destination for each
> direction. Also it would be more confusing as the lanes split & join in
> different locations.
>
> In theory the Individual lanes & tolls could be used by the operator to
> indicate which booths are open & what vehicles you can take through them
> (many have HGV only booths).

I split the ways where medians are present and do my best to tag access,
maxspeed, maxwidth, maxheight as known.  Would be handy if more routers had
an idea what payment you intend to use, since Pikepass users pay like an
old AT&T commercial at speeds between 30 and 75 MPH (depending on age of
the plaza, ones built in my lifetime are full-speed-ahead for pikepass
users) at most plazas. Cimarron Turnpike could very well be the only
exception in the OTA system, thanks to horseshoe ramps for exits at toll
plazas, forcing Pikepass users to wait in line in the Cash/Check/Tourist
Information line when entering and exiting.

PS, if you use that lane when there's a line at the toll plaza and start
playing 20 questions for tourist information...I hate you.  Go play 20
Questions at the concessions plaza where you're out of the way...