[OSM-talk] Drop rendering of permissive access?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 09:18:03 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 09:46, Simon Poole wrote:

> Regardless of aesthetics, as pointed out here
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/371 the
> current access renderings are misleading and entice wrong tagging.

Playing devil's advocate here, how do we know this?  That information
doesn't appear to be on the pull request.  What we have instead is
"Given that most uses, particularly of access=destination are actually
wrong (excludes access far all, including pedestrians for example)".
What it'd be useful to have instead would be:

1) some examples of where access=destination is wrong (i.e. there really
is more than "destination" access for specific modes and that isn't
tagged) to help understand what the problem is perceived to be.

2) either a measurement of how widespread the problem is, or a
description of how to measure how widespread the problem is.

Currently we don't have either of those - and without that there simply
isn't the evidence to back up the proposed change.  That doesn't mean
that it can't / won't be found (hence "playing devil's advocate") just
that we don't know yet.

Sometimes things that are "obvious" aren't actually true when you look
at the data ("new iD users making more errors than new users of other
editors" being an example of that, at least at the data that I looked at
from England and Wales).

Cheers,

Andy