[OSM-talk] The biggest violation of OpenStreetMap, ever.

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:13:24 UTC 2014

> Or we could use some other external dataset, e.g. "important" cities
> according to the analysis of someone else (usually economy centered), see
> e.g. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

It would be quite easy to find the number of wikipedias from different
languages that have an article about a place. That way small but
internationally known towns or villages could have better rating than some
places with more population.

For example, Smiljan [1] is a small village in Croatia where Nikola Tesla
was born, and it has 22 wikipedias with an article about it. Oteš [2] is a
village right besides it, and it has 5 wikipedias.

Also, if a place has a wikivoyage page about it, that means it's quite a
popular tourist place.

It's a bit of a heuristic way of solving this, but heuristic is maybe the
only way we have.

Janko

[1] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q367211
[2] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q2473950