[OSM-talk] The biggest violation of OpenStreetMap, ever.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 15:38:25 UTC 2014

> It would be quite easy to find the number of wikipedias from different
> languages that have an article about a place. That way small but
> internationally known towns or villages could have better rating than some
> places with more population.
>
> For example, Smiljan [1] is a small village in Croatia where Nikola Tesla
> was born, and it has 22 wikipedias with an article about it. Oteš [2] is a
> village right besides it, and it has 5 wikipedias.
>
> Also, if a place has a wikivoyage page about it, that means it's quite a
> popular tourist place.
>
> It's a bit of a heuristic way of solving this, but heuristic is maybe the
> only way we have.

Yes, we are basically discussing (at least) two topics here, one is to get
the "most" important cities on a world scale (likely doable manually), and
the other is to get a good approximation for every place (i.e. thousands or
millions of small ones, with relative importance for everyone, likely to be
done automatically or semi-automatically with help of good algorithms). Of
course even if you try to be "objective" you will never be, and the
perception of what is important does vary a lot based on your own cultural
background, e.g. "Mecca" is not on one of the linked Cities lists of
wikipedia, but hundreds of millions of people would probably want it
there...

cheers,
Martin