[OSM-talk] "Incorrect speed limit" anonymous notes - who is behind that?

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Jul 29 10:49:20 UTC 2014

Sorry,
there are QA tools to detect where speed limits are missing?
Can you give me a link?
And - if it's not self explaining: how should that work? I don't see any
way to detect missing speed limits in the data beyond cases where those
are implicit defaults, like 100 on non-trunk roads away from built up
areas in Germany (which is complicated enough to derive from the data),
or 130 for trunk roads (although most often there are lower limits), or
50 in cities (as the most often down-signed default).

So if there is any QA tool that detects that, I fear it uses third party
sources, a reporting system similar to the notes feature, but using a
different channel, or it is restricted to some cornercases only. I doubt
there is something like that which could make notes about speed limit
errors in osm obsolete.

IMHO notes are to be checked in person on the ground usually. If there's
nobody in France to do that, yes, then notes will remain in the database
for a long time, but basically they stay correct: Here is something
missing or wrong, please check that on the ground.

regards
Peter