[OSM-talk] Announcement of the release of a new set of POI icons

Saman Bemel-Benrud saman at mapbox.com
Mon Mar 17 18:01:04 UTC 2014

This is a great initiative, but there's a lot of room for improvement.
There are two big things that would increase the odds of adoption for a set
like this:

- Remove the containing boxes. The boxes hurt legibility because every icon
has the same silhouette, and also makes it difficult for the icons to scale
down well because the boxes occupy unnecessary space.
- Ensure the icons are legible at small sizes. Right now, there are many
fine details that get lost when scaled down to the size these would be
displayed on the map at (>=20px x 20px). I would make an effort to reduce
the dependency on multiple symbols to get your concepts across. For
example, why is the chess board icon two people under a tent, beside a
chess board? This would work much better as a single symbol, like a chess
Rook or a simplified board.