[OSM-talk] [OHM] Should we map former endonyms?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 10:43:10 UTC 2014

Susanna Ånäs wrote:
> This notability guideline for geographic features, both current and historical,
> will indeed be a cornestone for building upon Wikidata!
>
> It would not include all man-made structures yet, but I hope that would be the
> trend.
>
> I hope we can develop tools and technologies to bridge the data between OSM/OHM
> and Wikidata.

I don't think there is any doubt that wikidata will always be a very useful
archive of supporting data, but will never include a large tranche of additional
data such as the history of 'man-made' structures that are quite rightly not
important enough to have a wikipedia entry.

The bridge is simply maintaining a usable object cross reference, but that still
leaves the hole of where the rest of the historic data is maintained ... and
that archive would have to have at the very least stubs to objects that are
maintained in wikidata. Andy has identified the proposal here for linking to
wikipedia?
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:NGEO>

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL