[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

Aaron Lidman aaronlidman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 17:32:44 UTC 2014

Hi Dave,

Richrico should have responded. The Mapbox data team has a policy to respond to all questions from the community. I'm sorry he didn't, he has now, and we've reminded all members of our data team of this policy. This should no longer be an issue in the future and all of our data team policies are completely transparent and can be found on the wiki:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapbox#Data_Team_Guidelines

The software is not "being misused to insert errors into the OSM database", it was a mistake. Just like Keepright, Osmose, and JOSM, to-fix has false positives. It's unfortunate and we're actively working to reduce them in number but they happen. Looking at the imagery I can see how it might be thought they connect, especially when none of us are using google maps for verification, right?

If there are large scale issues with the things to-fix is highlighting we should have a discussion about that and I'm open to suggestions. You can submit issues here:https://github.com/osmlab/to-fix/issues

The discussion about local knowledge vs remote or armchair mapping and your stance on "detrimental" software is another one entirely.