[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Oct 14 13:18:09 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 13:32:44 -0400, Aaron Lidman <aaronlidman at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The software is not "being misused to insert errors into the OSM database", it was a mistake. Just like Keepright, Osmose, and JOSM, to-fix has false positives. It's unfortunate and we're actively working to reduce them in number but they happen. Looking at the imagery I can see how it might be thought they connect, especially when none of us are using google maps for verification, right?

in addition to the fact that we do not have permission to use google maps
in this manner, keep in mind that google maps also contains errors and is
nowhere near as reliable as a proper ground survey. so there are two
excellent reasons not to use google maps.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
  Java - Web Applications - Search