[OSM-talk] Addresses are a tiny fraction of what we do (was: The world’s best addressable map)

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 13:29:01 UTC 2014

I'd go along with this to some extent; I certainly don't think OSM should be "primarily" about addressing as Steve's email appears to indicate.
It should be about whatever we as mappers want it to be. If addressing's your thing, then fine, do it, but if it isn't, that's fine also.

I don't think we should be singling out one "mission" at all - other than to gather free geodata. Instead, we as mappers should be contributing whatever personally turns us on, so to speak.
There are enough people with enough diverse interests that we end up with a map showing a wide range of things.

There are still a good number of things besides addressing that are missing. Plenty of footpaths even here in the UK are still missing, for instance - to mention my own personal area of interest.

By focusing on one aim you're going to potentially turn people off whose mapping interests lie elsewhere.

Nick