[OSM-talk] Your chance to host State of the Map 2015

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Tue Oct 28 01:53:18 UTC 2014

On 15.10.2014 19:46,  Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Hi list members,
>
> State of the Map conferences are a great way to bring the community
> together, reach out to new members and promote innovation. I am
> delighted to see that the OpenStreetMap Foundation have committed to
> continuing State of the Map in 2015.
>
> The OSMF annual SOTM complements local SOTMs {EU, US, Scotland, etc}
> and to me one of the big benefits is that the Foundation remains
> committed to taking SOTM to new places. Now it's your chance to host :-)
>
> The call for locations for SOTM 2015 is now open:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2015/Call_for_venues
>
> So why are you still reading this, get bidding :-)
>
> Regards,
> Rob
> SotM 2013 (Birmingham) local team

this email is addressed to the SOTM working group of the OSMF. Maybe
"team at stateofthemap.org <mailto:team at stateofthemap.org>" is the wrong
email-adress because I don't want to address the persons working at the
2014 conference. But there is no other address given at the web page of
the OSMF...

The issue I want to raise: I'm a litte astonished about the timeline given.
* the CFL was opened on the 15th of October
* the CFL closes on the 2nd of November
This is just about two weeks to make the foundations of a big worldwide
conference??? Don't you think this might be somehow a little short?

You could argue "you had one year to get things right". OK, but how
realistic is this? For most of the conferences run voluntarily it is
difficult to have planings going along longtime in advance, w/o a
trigger usually nothing starts.
And If you say "but we want to announce the location for 2015 at the
2014 conference": then you simply should have opened the CFL earlier...

Just my 2 cents,
Michael.

PS: IMHO 4 weeks seems to be a really good timeframe for a CFL for the
SOTM...