[OSM-talk] The world’s best addressable map

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Oct 28 10:39:56 UTC 2014

On 10/28/2014 11:00 AM, Pieren wrote:
> Back to the OP, I don't think the OSMF should define "goals" and what
> the crowd should map first. What makes the success of OSM is not only
> showing a slippy map or calculating a route from A to B but really its
> openness. If the foundation defines our "goals", it will fail anyway
> but could generate some frustration for those who don't care about
> these goals (e.g addresses). Like the "net neutrality" for ISP's, the
> foundation should promote "map neutrality" and not some datasets
> required by specific applications (commercial or not).

Yes. I the foundation's mission statement clearly spells out that it is
all about fostering the best possible environment for the map to thrive
in the bottom up fashion that made it successful... Not by decreeing
goals from the top.

As usual in Openstreetmap's do-ocracy, if you want something hard enough
you start doing it and find friends to collaborate with. What you need
is not the foundation telling you to do it but the open welcoming soil
of the Openstreetmap infrastructure for yours idea to take root.

Addresses are no exception. I would say they are even exceptionally
suited to the do-ocratic model because there are rather powerful
commercial and governmental interests in them... They are not an orphan
project, by far.

So let those who consider addresses a critical piece of the
Openstreetmap puzzle add them - the French BANO (Open National Addresses
Database) project is reaching critical mass, brilliantly showing that
Openstreetmap is lucky to have exceptionally skilled and motivated
individuals to lead the way... Ask them if you need inspiration - don't
ask the foundation.