[OSM-talk] Postponing elections, or other alternatives (Was: Modus operandi of the board)

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:50:57 UTC 2014


Christoph,

If you are concerned that something might "seem harsh," perhaps you
shouldn't say it. I'm fairly certain you could have expressed your point
without telling me that I am "opportunistically doing whatever the majority
wants".

What I am doing, in fact, is gathering information. I am working to see if
there is consensus to be built. I am asking if this is something that
others would like to see pursued. I think that people like Richard have
made the case for disbanding the board beautifully, and I don't think that
I would have much to add. In fact, since Richard specifically called me out
as a part of the new generation of leaders, it would seem rather
self-serving for me to fiercely campaign for it. I do have my own opinions
about what I think we should do. I've expressed some of them on these
lists. I see a lot of merit in the idea of restarting the board with a
fresh mandate, but it's complicated now that we have 3 seats to elect,
rather than 2-- perhaps we don't need to take such an extreme measure
anymore. However, the fact that the 3rd seat only opened up a few hours
before the window to announce candidacy closed makes this even more
complicated, because I feel confident that with more time it would have
changed the field of candidates. Finally, I would like to see an election
held again soon with a larger voting base, because the events of the past
two week or so have certainly made more people interested in voting who had
never been members before (like you, perhaps).

This is all quite complex. I am far less interested in being elected to the
board than I am interested in helping the OSM community. I decided to run
because of the trainwreck that we saw unfolding last week on this mailing
list. I only had another day or two to decide if I was going to run, and
that was the only thing I could think to do to help. I spent the last year
on the OSM-US board, so I certainly have the credentials for it. This
project is important. I can help. If the membership agrees that I can help
by being a member of the board, they will elect me in. Great. If not,
great-- I'll probably have lower blood pressure as a result. Still, I'm not
going to stop trying to help this community, because it is a project and a
group of people that I believe in.

This email isn't a part of my "election campaign". It's just me, asking my
peers what they want, because maybe I am in a position to do something.




On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de>
wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 October 2014, Kathleen Danielson wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious about whether the membership is interested in us pursuing
> > some kind of "reboot". We've only heard a few voices on the topic,
> > which has made me reluctant to work on organizing anything that might
> > go against the membership's wishes.
>
> This is more or less why i added these questions to
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Foundation/AGM14/Election_to_Board
>
> to encourange everyone - members and candidates - to make up their mind.
>
> To be frank - if you expect the OSMF members to have an opinion on the
> matter you should as an OSMF member yourself also have an opinion.
> People who have a clear stance on this will probably want to vote for
> someone who shares their opinion, not for someone who - i am sorry if
> this seems harsh - opportunistically will do whatever the majority
> wants.
>
> I fully understand if you or other candidates think you cannot (yet)
> form a qualified opinion on this but then i think you can't expect this
> from the membership either.
>
> Personally i would want to vote for someone who clearly states her/his
> support for a restart since i find the accounts of Richard, Frederik
> and others pretty convincing and supported by the observable facts
> about the OSMF work. I am well aware this would also involve the risk
> of the results being even worse than now (as for example indicated by
> Randy Meech).  But i am not an OSMF member so these thoughts are quite
> academic...
>
> Thanks by the way to you and the other candidates for answering the
> questions on the wiki.
>
> --
> Christoph Hormann
> http://www.imagico.de/
>
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> talk at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/attachments/20141028/9a84e637/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the talk mailing list