[OSM-talk] Postponing elections, or other alternatives (Was: Modus operandi of the board)

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Oct 28 11:54:57 UTC 2014

I thank Christoph and Kathleen for obliquely raising an issue ... which
I'd crudely put as politics versus bureaucracy. It is a very important
one and touches back on the topic of modus operandi of the OSMF board.
I, perhaps in a minority, regard the entire OSMF set-up as volunteer
bureaucrats ... we are primarily helping protecting and growing a
resource, the OSM database, that is not ours.  And, as I learnt during
the license change process, consensus-seeking is an e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y
important part of the bureaucracy role.

So, Christoph, yes, I like to see what positions candidates take, it
helps me decide who will be the best bureaucrat and thus who I will
personally vote for. And Kathleen, yes, board members should be both
seeking and forming consensus. And if one starts that as a candidate,
all the better. Just remember that consensus is not always the loudest
voices!

Mike