[OSM-talk] Wiki project: Article about the standard layer, with key

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Mon Apr 20 13:45:42 UTC 2015

On 20 April 2015 at 13:27, Wuzzy <wuzzy2 at mail.ru> wrote:
> I have created a wiki page about the Standard layer found on
> www.openstreetmap.org
>
> Here it is:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Standard_tile_layer

Thanks for that!

I think Andy was also trying to create an updated map key, but I'm not
sure if he's still working on it. He used software he created for that
himself:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/mapnik-legendary

> Here are two goals of this wiki page:
> 1) Concentrate on user's view, not mapper's view
> 2) Give a brief description of the Standard layer and other information
> of intererest.
> 3) Document all the map colors, symbols and lines. Also known as “key”.

You might also be interested in
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/README.md
and
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md .

I think it would be good not to duplicate too much information.

> There are the following challenges:
> - I want to have the pure, unaltered icons in their original size. Many
>   icons I found in the wiki are pretty outdated.

Everything you need is in
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/tree/master/symbols
.

> - If possible, the icons should be stored as uniform as possible in the
>   wiki. It looks ugly if all the icons are displayed in different sizes

I'm not sure what you mean by that, do the icons above help?

> - Documenting all the non-obvious stuff about the layer, such as that
>   private access things are drawn semi-transparent, etc.

Would be useful indeed, I'm afraid you'd need to read the source code for that.

> - Keeping this whole thing up to date

Yes, that would be the largest challenge. Perhaps a pseudo-automated
solution, such as legendary, would be the easiest to keep things up to
date.

> You can help by:
> - Extending the key
> - Give advice if you know more about the inner workings of the Standard
>   layer
> - Uploading missing icons into the wiki
> - Updating outdated icons in the wiki
> - Adding more general information about this layer

I don't really have time to actively contribute to updating the page,
but I'm happy to help with any questions you might have (I'm one of
the maintainers of the Standard style).

-- Matthijs