[OSM-talk] stop deleting abandoned railroads

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 11:15:35 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> So who decides what is good data and what is bad data?

The community as a whole decides what is good and bad data. That starts
with the local community and moves up to the OSM community as a whole in
terms of whether or not data belongs in OSM or not.

> And "visibility on the ground" needs nuancing. Are we to remove
> underground pipelines/power lines?

If you were able to go underground, then you'd find such data. But if you
can't- how do you know these lines exist? You probably are using a feature
that you *can* see without being underground.

> Or boundaries?

I specifically addressed political boundaries in my previous mail.

"Visible and/or verifiable" might be better. A rule that needs loads of
> exceptions, is not a well formed rule.

Verifiable and visible are essentially synonymous in this discussion.

> An abandoned railway route IS an abandoned railway route, even today (i.e.
> that is current data). It WAS a working railway line. That is all
> verifiable.

Yes, but we don't map things that used to be present but are no longer
present. A road used to be here but is now a building. We don't map the old
road, only what's present now.

- Serge