[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:51:51 UTC 2015

On 27/08/2015 10:02, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> ... the OP hasn't given a list of guilty deletions so it's hard to
> judge how justified each deletion was.

Back in
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-August/073669.html I
had a look at what caused the current flurry of discussion.   Part of
the line in question was deleted by a mapper new to OSM; it was their
second and last OSM edit.  I find it hard to believe that this new OSM
mapper "had a thing about deleting abandoned railways". Likely they just
didn't understand something, were confused, and it somehow got deleted.

If just 10% of the effort that's been put into this discussion had been
put into welcoming new mappers and explaining things to them* we'd be in
a far better place as a project.

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)

* yes, this also means explaining why "amenity=Bank" is not a good tag
rather than "just fixing it".  Of course if they don't reply it does
make sense to fix obvious typos - but explain the problem in a human
message (not just "you did it wrong") first.