[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:16:37 UTC 2015

On 27/08/2015, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back in
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-August/073669.html I
> had a look at what caused the current flurry of discussion.   Part of
> the line in question was deleted by a mapper new to OSM; it was their
> second and last OSM edit.  I find it hard to believe that this new OSM
> mapper "had a thing about deleting abandoned railways". Likely they just
> didn't understand something, were confused, and it somehow got deleted.

Good catch, sorry I forgot about it. I agree that
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/259134943 should not have been
deleted, and that it certainly was just a mishap that the contributor
didn't even notice. So restore the way, send a "watch out" message to
the newbie, and call it a day (well, do also improve the tagging of
that abandoned railway : some sections are dismantled and some have
been converted to various types of highway, etc).

But I doubt that Russ would have had such a strong reaction if it was
just for that case. I'm sure there were other willfull deletions, and
lacks of communication.