[OSM-talk] Mapping Klong Toey Slums

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Tue Aug 9 08:29:58 UTC 2016

Hello Mishari,

I use DJI Phantom 3 Advanced [1]. There is already Phantom 4 which has
got slightly better camera, but a bit shorter flight range. Phantom has
got intelligent flight modes, from which I use the Point of Interest. In
this mode aircraft flies automatically around an object, and it is
impossible to pilot so precisely manually (an example is on the video
below).

There is also DJI Inspire quad but it weighs 2.9 kg (two times more than
Phantom's 1.2 kg). All DJI quads has got a GPS navigation and a GPS
enabled camera, so there will be exact geographical coordinates in
produced JPG images, and an aircraft has got a Return Home feature.
Return Home means that if a pilot lost a quad from the LOS (line of
sight) in the sky, or a radio control signal is lost for some reason, it
still can return and land automatically via this feature. It is an
useful security function.

I would recommend to fly early in the morning on a sunny and quiet day
(see local weather forecast beforehand), as the light is better [2], the
air is clear, but also there are less people and less vehicles on the
streets early in the morning. I usually wait for good weather as long as
it takes for flying in a town or a city.

Also it makes sense to check local regulations [3] (but better from an
official source), and try to follow them as much as possible. As much as
possible, because, for instance, it is allowed normally to fly only in
the LOS mode, but fly-always may happen unintentionally, in this case a
pilot may still return either via FPV (first person view), or Return
Home feature.

[1] http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-adv
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(photography)
[3]