[OSM-talk] south Portugal and South Spain GPS

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 21:59:56 UTC 2016

On 2/01/2016 7:06 AM, Clifford Snow wrote:
> Sounds like a fun trip.
>
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM, birdlady108 <birdlady108 at gmail.com
> <mailto:birdlady108 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     My husband and I (Both older) want to buy a GPS so we don't get
>     too lost when walking and driving on our trip in February.  I have
>     been looking on Amazon.ca but all the GPS have N. Amer. maps.  If
>     I buy one can I put an English language Portugal/Spain map in it?
>     ( which is best brand  for not too much money and not too
>     difficult to input destinations?)  We have a 2008 Honda Accord
>      with a built in GPS and know how to use it.  We have a very old
>      portable Nextus GPS that we use in rental cars in Canada but
>     don't think it could be used.

For in car use I think you want;
Voice communication - from it to you .. so you don't have to look at the
screen to be aware of up coming turns.
12 volt power input - so you don't have to worry about flat batteries
while in the car.
An easy in car mount

For walking you want;
Internal batteries with good capacity
colour screen to work out where you are, the things around you and any
directions (you don't want voice directions here)
Physically small

Chose a model to suit. Do go and look at it physically, and take it out
into the sun to evaluate the screen.

> You can load OSM maps [1] on many of Garmin's devices. You can
> download all of Europe [2] or just the countries you are interested
> in. I used my Garmin eTrex 20 in Costa Rica with great results. The
> eTrex series has a somewhat small screen but it great for directions.
>

>     We don't have smart phones ( nor smart brains anymore) so can't
>     use an app.

I'd encourage you to get a smart phone. I find it aids my brain by
providing 'smarts' ... things like currency conversion, a small camera,
language assistance, as well as maps. Get an in car charger for it too,
saves finding power points and converters.