[OSM-talk] highway=crossing tags removed in changeset.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:42:12 UTC 2016

On 13/07/2016 17:40, Dave F wrote:

> I'm unsure why the nodes originally had crossing=no, but I think
> removing the highway tag makes them even more inaccurate.

Leaving aside the "undiscussed mechanical edit" issues (see
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2016-July/076403.html for
my comments on that) in this case it's definitely worth a conversation
with the mappers about what they were trying to encapsulate, and with
the "crossing" wiki page editors about why
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:crossing is as it is.  I suspect
part of that reason in the latter case may be recent edits by wiki
editors with differing views on what "crossing=no" means resulting in a
bit of a mess.

I don't believe that I've ever been to any of the places that were
changed in https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/40612462 so I'm
guessing based on imagery and familiarity with nearby places (e.g. the
one in Cannock Chase).  Looking at one of the examples in that
changeset, http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2714463033 , it looks like
"somewhere where you can cross the road but there's no traffic
control".  It is a specific place where you can cross - footpaths
terminate at that node.  I personally wouldn't tag it as any sort of
crossing since there's no infrastructure, although it's clear that
whoever built the footpath did anticipate crossing there rather than
elsewhere.

The wiki page for highway=crossing (currently) says "Where definitely no
crossing is possible/legal" for "no".  Unfortunately in itself that's
very unclear - many places where crossing is legal it's essentially
impossible to do so (e.g. many footpaths crossing dual carriageways),
and there are also plenty of places where crossing is possible but
illegal (e.g. in places where "jaywalking" laws exist).

Looking at another example, https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/190732659
, it's clear that you can cross (based on the name of the bus stop if
nothing else!) so "crossing=no" looks wrong there too.

There are of course only 24 nodes in total, so whoever cleans this up
should ask the mappers of those nodes what it was they actually meant.
My guess in some cases is "you can't cross here", in others "you can,
but there's no infrastructure" and in others again "actually, there's a
zebra crossing or some lights".

Also, any follow-up in-depth discussion about what "crossing=no" means
is probably best had on the tagging list.

Best Regards,

Andy