[OSM-talk] Which type of highways are used by routing software?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 00:39:05 UTC 2016

On 02-Nov-16 10:57 AM, MichaƂ Brzozowski wrote:
> The rules for routing appear to be mostly global for popular routers.
> There is very little magical sauce, if any. You can try many routers
> from osm.org main page.
> OSRM, for instance, avoids track at all times, unless
> access=destination (or more particular class like motor_vehicle) is
> used.

Bicycle are not motor_vehicles.

Mountain Bikes would probably prefer 'tracks'.

> The issue with abuse of track probably boils down to its distinct
> appearance on the standard style. Imitation of existing data could
> also play a role in its spread.
> To get people to tag properly, we need to render unpaved on the
> standard style. See:
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/110
> It probably won't be exactly pretty, but it seems that's the only way
> to discipline people who think of OSM as of images - and use only the
> standard layer.

Tagging for the render. Or the reverse - rendering for the mapper?

Mappers need to tag the truth, how it renders should not be a consideration for mappers.
That would be 'ideal', realism strikes and there is a need for rendering the truth is a way that rewards that truth.