[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Aug 28 00:20:00 UTC 2017

On 8/27/2017 10:29 AM, Ian Dees wrote:

> I strongly disagree. As a group of people who have received
> extra-judicial powers in the OSM community, they should be expected to
> follow community guidelines to a higher degree than the rest of the
> community.

As the publisher of the OSM database, the OSMF has various legal
obligations. When we become aware of data that has been illegally copied
into OSM we need to stop distributing that data, generally by deleting
it and redacting the old versions so they are no longer accessible. It's
worth discussing if we can refine the identification of data illegally
copied data, but we need to remove it in the end, regardless of if we
want to.

Paul Norman
For the OSMF Data Working Group