[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Redacting 75, 000 street names contributed by user chdr

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 00:40:19 UTC 2017

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 8/27/2017 10:29 AM, Ian Dees wrote:
>

>> I strongly disagree. As a group of people who have received
>> extra-judicial powers in the OSM community, they should be expected to
>> follow community guidelines to a higher degree than the rest of the
>> community.
>>

> As the publisher of the OSM database, the OSMF has various legal
> obligations. When we become aware of data that has been illegally copied
> into OSM we need to stop distributing that data, generally by deleting it
> and redacting the old versions so they are no longer accessible. It's worth
> discussing if we can refine the identification of data illegally copied
> data, but we need to remove it in the end, regardless of if we want to.

I haven't seen any compelling evidence or discussion about whether or not
the data in question was illegally copied into OSM. All we have to go on is
the first paragraph of Frederik's initial post. I'm not questioning
Frederik's (or any DWG members') passion or dedication to the project, but
we are the contributors and I would hope we can expect some extra modicum
of transparency when a proposal of this magnitude is made.

I'm glad this discussion is happening now, but I hope we can expect to see
it happen again if something else comes up in the future.