[OSM-talk] Changing Bing to bing

moltonel at gmail.com moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 08:44:49 UTC 2017

On 6 March 2017 5:41:01 PM GMT+01:00, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>1) If JOSM is really recommending that you change "source=Bing" to
>"source=bing" or vice versa then I'd suggest that you ignore it. With
>both "Bing" and "bing" it's pretty obvious what the source is and not
>worth "editing" lots of objects to change it.  I'd also suggest that
>whatever it is in JOSM that's recommending this be changed so as not
>to.  A couple of times in the past I've suggested that JOSM's rules be
>relaxed in this way and I've always found the JOSM developers to be
>extremely helpful with this sort of issue.

FWIW I've alway ignored JOSM's "Bing" -> "bing" warning and would be glad to see it removed, or reversed and downgraded to notice.

While we do have a "standard values should be lowercase" best-practice in OSM, I don't think this should apply to source tags except maybe "survey" and "local_knowledge" :
* Most source values, like Bing, are proper names and capitalisation matters.
* Exact capitalisation is often expected/demanded by soures which allow importing into OSM.
* There's no reason to treat Bing specially, yet I don't think that JOSM warns about "Mapbox" or "Mapillay".
* "Bing" is twice as frequent as "bing" on taginfo, so suggesting the later goes against the general trend.

--
Vdp
Sent from a phone.