[OSM-talk] New OSM Quick-Fix service

Branko Kokanovic branko at kokanovic.org
Mon Nov 13 23:45:10 UTC 2017

Hi all,
Lurking, but first time posting. I was trying to just ignore this
thread, but at this point, I had to add my 2c... My story: I am rather
new to OSM community (although I joined in 2009[1], probably before most
of you reading this:), came here (again) recently, full of optimism to
improve world (literally:). Created complete fancy tool to do fixes in
Serbia[2] and along the way, I learned about Sophox. This turned out to
be really cool tool to deal with problems we have in Serbia community
with 2 scripts (cyrillic/latin) and it helped me a lot, as you can
see[3]. Plan was even to get rid of my tool. I was also making plans
with Yuri to add support to query individual regions[4]!, and was eager
to work on that. However, I learned in this short period that this
community unfortunately has very fixed mindset (IMHO!). Yes, I can
understand rules you created around here and I understand needs for
them, and I tried really hard to obey all rules, stick to them, learn
new ones, not to get down whenever somebody interrogated my
changesets/reverted my whole day of work without asking, but now that
the bot I was doing work under is publicly mentioned in (IMHO) wrong
context, and now that it is banned, I cannot collect enough enthusiasm
to continue, I just give up from this unwelcoming community.
Don't get me wrong, I still think OSM is awesome, I will continue to
use it as always, but it is just not for me - it is clear that majority
of people here is strongly against mechanical edits (it's not about
Sophox really?) and I am kind of guy that thinks automation is
solution to everything:) (no, you should not take this literally!:) So,
all the good luck in this nice stringent community, but I will continue
to be just a user:)
Thanks, Branko

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Branko%20Kokanovic
[2] https://github.com/stalker314314/serbian-osm-lint