[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:49:36 UTC 2018

The name for the country in the name tag is " België / Belgique / Belgien" (*)
The name for any street in Brussels is either "<name fr> - <name du>"
or "<name du> - <name fr>" with the majority mapped with French in
front.

The names never use a semi-colon. Without looking at name:fr / name:nl
tags you don't know which part of the name belongs to which language
(I think).
For Belgium there is no problem, as the names will only contain latin
characters, but in other cases it might become difficult, not ?

m.

(*) I wonder whether the separator was always "/" here.