[OSM-talk] Ground truth for non-physical objects

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Dec 11 16:40:14 UTC 2018

On 11/12/2018 16:49, Jmapb wrote:
> On 12/11/2018 9:41 AM, Rory McCann wrote:
>> On 11/12/2018 12:38, Tomas Straupis wrote:
>>>    If someone puts a label "Military academy" on their house, would we
>>> map it as an actual military academy?
>>
>> No, but you would put "addr:housename=Military academy".
>
> Sidebar, according to my reading of the address tagging standards, one
> should only tag addr:housename=* when it's an official (or at least de
> facto) part of the postal address. It's not for people who just decide
> their house has a name and write that name on a sign -- though you can
> use name=* for that. J

If you put a sign on your house and use that to direct people, and the
postal worker delivers you post, then it is de facto the name. In
Ireland house names, as opposed to numbers, are very common in rural
areas. There is no official registry.

On 11/12/2018 16:03, Tomas Straupis wrote:> 2018-12-11, an, 16:41 Rory
McCann rašė:
 >> No, but you would put "addr:housename=Military academy".
 >
 >    Well IF you know it is not actually a Military academy. But if
 > you're not allowed to enter it would be difficult to say.

Use your head. Does it look like a military academy? Or someone's house.
Do you see military students coming in and out.