[OSM-talk] Sharing, Facebook, mapwithai_feedback

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Aug 6 04:00:00 UTC 2019

Michal (Mike? I have a brother with the same Polish spelling, and he goes by both names, too!), are you answering as a representative of Facebook or as a contributor to OSM, or both?  I believe I know you to be  a (well respected, august) contributor to OSM, but if you are saying that you might represent Facebook in this talk channel on this topic / these topics, I do not understand your relationship with Facebook, if any, and appreciate any clarity along those lines you might offer.  (You mention being "employees of a large company" and I get that Facebook is exactly that, are you an employee of Facebook?)  Or, perhaps you are simply replying to MY reply that "there is a Slack channel about this, discussion is happening there..." and that it would be difficult to have a discussion a la Slack here on talk.  If the latter is the case, I agree it would be "messier" (as it is single-threaded and slower / serial instead of parallelized like a Slack channel).  Yet, that addresses exactly my point:  that a single(?) (Facebook) representative with a well-focused reply / message to address this / these topic(s) can work.  More slowly and cumbersome, yes (it is a cumbersome channel, I agree, yet we somehow make it work about as well as can be expected to work).  "Complicated" shouldn't scare Facebook away, nor be a reason or excuse to not engage in dialog.  That said, I myself am only one person in this endeavor to better dialog, not a point person or spokesperson, by any means!

A major thrust behind my invitation was about distinctly avoiding communication methodologies that are proprietary and require agreement with a contract of adhesion (precisely as Facebook and Slack offer and require) and using comm tech that is much, much more open (like talk here) — truer to the spirit of OSM.

Thanks for your reply, thanks in advance for any clarification you might further add,
SteveA