[OSM-talk] Just email direclty | Re: Sharing, Facebook, mapwithai_feedback

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Aug 6 08:20:17 UTC 2019

As Michal/Mike suggested, I did reply to DrishT's diary page and DrishT quickly replied.  He was conciliatory, saying "the team has been engaging in as many places as possible where we get reach outs with questions" and he agrees that "community communications (about this topic / these topics) are fragmented."  Although, I haven't seem DrishT or anybody who directly identifies themselves from Facebook engage the community (as narrow a slice as it may be) here (on this "talk channel"), it does appear that "engagement" is happening in other forums / channels.  That seems positive to me (and I'm somewhat skeptical of all of this and can be somewhat harsh in my criticism when I find any).

I'm ready to pay some significant attention to opinions of those like Rory and Nuno who seem to indicate that Facebook publicly says one thing, but their actions (and how they reply / respond and engage) say another.  I am disheartened to hear that some people feel like they haven't been heard / aren't being replied to by Facebook (or their representatives), as that was not my recent experience.

As might have been predicted, this is a complex topic with many channels / methods of communications, messages, past experiences, assumptions and opinions flying around, it can be difficult to untangle them all, and it can be easy to jump to conclusions and experience misunderstandings.  Let us be patient with one another, stick to facts and do our best to sort out as many of the issues as we can.  What appears to be happening here and now is that better "cross-pollination" avenues of communication are being explored and some "road is being paved" in that direction, that seems like a good thing.

Rory, if it helps, it appears that DrishT engages relatively quickly (as a "somewhat representative member of the Facebook community working on this AI project").  If you feel as if you are not heard (or "less than heard"), I recently had a quick reply there ( https://www.osm.org/user/DrishT/diary/368711 ); good luck.

SteveA