[OSM-talk] Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 09:09:18 UTC 2019

i share the thoughts and concerns shared by Christoph. It's not
surprisingly that most of these companies are "tied" or are
client/service providers of each other, some are even Corporate members
of OSMF. Who would bite the hand the feeds?

Blaming third party media outlets, when Facebook article title is "AI is
supercharging the creation of maps around the world" says a lot. What
maps? Bit of misleading title oh well, not clear enough. #options

Also the video they have on the article shows in the end the
attribution. Funnily uploaded on Vimeo, that regarding this
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-July/082927.html
replied me yesterday mentioning they are having an investigation between
their engineers and their legal department to add the attribution on the
map on their LiveStream platform.... hope it does not take as long as
the steam engine speed legal dept of facebook that still hasn't figured
out since October what to do about the attribution as when they replied
to me in October 2018, as reported here
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-June/082702.html

> For a *tv, film or video production*, the attribution should typically
> appear in a corner of the map. *As long as the credit is on screen
> long enough to be read*, it does not have to remain in view during
> panning or zooming. For productions with end credits, *we would also
> welcome a credit there*

from
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Licence_and_Legal_FAQ#Where_to_put_it.3F