[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 11:06:40 UTC 2019

On 18/06/19 19:51, Michael Collinson wrote:
> Sounds logical given the new tagging. I find no faults with the
> office=diplomatic page, kudos to Lyx for putting it together, very
> thorough. Embassies are (or should be) a 100% subset of
> office=diplomatic. I think you are wise in not suggesting mass
> addition of  diplomatic=embassy, I also have come across instances in
> the past where they are actually consulates.
The tag amenity=embassy was used for any diplomatic thing, some even
were commercial firms that assisted in obtaining visas.
> The only thing I can think of is whether there are still any cases
> where the location is actually an ambassadorial residence, (I am
> uncomfortable with having them there, my wife is an ambassador) ...
> but I think the most sensible thing is to deal with them on a
> case-by-case after putting in place this more rigourous tagging schema.

Yes, amenity=embassy includes some ambassadorial residences, and there
is some provision for ambassadorial residences in the new scheme.
I am not certain .. but an ambassadorial residence will have
entertainment functions that can mean its location may need to be known
by some map users.

Oh I forgot to mention the how I'm thinking of doing this,
Using JOSM one city at a time to get the features that have both
amenity=embassy and country=*
Check the names for anything specious and cast those aside (I might do
some work on those but unrelated to the addition directly).
Then add the tag office=diplomatic.

This will not get all of them - some are outside cities, some don't have
the country tag.
But it will get most of them. The rest should be done by locals,
possibly maproulette?