[OSM-talk] OSM user diary etiquette

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jun 25 10:08:06 UTC 2019

25 Jun 2019, 11:19 by frederik at remote.org:

> I think that many soft rules, like "you shouldn't use this to post a
> question", can also be developed and enforced by the community without a
> well defined process and without ever being written down. If someone
> posts a question and three others tell them that this was not a good
> idea, they will likely learn, and everyone else who reads the exchange
> will learn, too.

I think that using diary entries for questions can be very useful and appropriate.

For example https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny/diary/35437 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny/diary/35437>
that was basically a question "is this a good progress toward improving map style,
or is there something that should be done differently?"

It resulted in a very useful feedback, especially
"Ok - will try to explain briefly on the problem of too strong colors. (...)" but also
other comments.

There only other place where I could reasonably publish this was a Github repository,
where it would reach different and smaller group of people - even with announcement
on mailing lists.